League One Round-Up: Gillingham go top as Burton lose and Walsall draw
25th January 2016

Gillingham went top of League One above Burton on goal difference as they came from behind to beat Peterborough 2-1 at Priestfield.

Posh took the lead through Erhun Oztumer, but second-half goals from Luke Norris and Bradley Dack completed the comeback.

Burton slipped to second after a shock 2-1 loss at home to strugglers Shrewsbury.

Nigel Clough’s side were leading when Damien McCrory’s powerful shot found the back of the net. The hosts missed a series of chances before Andy Mangan equalised and the visitors climbed out of the relegation zone when Shaun Whalley scored a winner in stoppage-time.

Walsall missed the chance to go top of the league as Blackpool rescued a point with a stoppage-time equaliser.

Jason Demetriou put the Saddlers in front, but Danny Philiskirk latched onto the end of Uche Ikpeazu’s free-kick to level the score.

Barnsley’s Sam Winnall scored a hat-trick as they thrashed Rochdale 6-1 to go five points clear of the relegation zone.

Goals from Alfie Mawson and Winnall gave Barnsley a 2-0 lead, before Nathaniel Mendez-Laing pulled one back for Dale. Further strikes from Marley Watkins, Kevin Long and a brace from Winnall sealed their biggest win of the season.

Millwall moved into the play-off places with a 2-1 win over Chesterfield after coming from a goal down to get the three points.

04 January 2014 FA Cup 3rd Round - Southend United v Millwall FC -Neil Harris, temporary Millwall FC manager.Photo: Mark Leech

Neil Harris’ Millwall side moved into the play-off positions with victory over Chesterfield.

Sam Morsy’s 25-yard effort put the hosts in front, but Aiden O’Brien equalised for the Lions from Shane Ferguson’s cross before Lee Gregory’s winner.

Scunthorpe won their first game after sacking Mark Robins and have now moved seven points clear of trouble with a 3-0 win over Colchester. Tom Hopper put the Iron in front, and that was followed up from a brace by Paddy Madden.

Southend beat Coventry 3-0 despite playing 40 minutes with only ten men after Gary Deegan was issued his second yellow card.

Jack Payne put the hosts ahead with a low driven strike, and Tyrone Barnett then doubled their lead when he slotted the ball home after a through ball by Stephen Hendrie, before grabbing his second of the match late on.

Oldham have now gone 13 home league matches without a win as they lost 1-0 at home to Bury. Leon Clarke scored the only goal of the game with his 16th strike of the season from Danny Pugh’s cross.

Bottom side Crewe drew 1-1 with promotion-chasers Wigan after fighting back to claim a valuable point, but they are now eight points from safety.

Recent singing Reece Wabara had put Gary Caldwell’s side in the lead with a terrific 25-yard shot, but the hosts equalised through Brad Inman.

Sheffield United have slipped to eighth after a 1-1 draw with Swindon, despite leading through a Billy Sharp penalty. The Robins hit back when Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill finished smartly with just over ten minutes left to play.

Meanwhile, Port Vale and Bradford played out the same scoreline. Ajay Leitch-Smith put Vale 1-0 up inside two minutes, but Jamie Procter’s debut goal earned a point.

Fleetwood dropped into the relegation zone after a 0-0 draw with Doncaster with neither side creating a clear-cut chance to win the contest. Town are now one point from safety with a game in hand.

Player of the Weekned: Sam Winnall (Barnsley)
Team of the Weekend: Shrewsbury Town
Goal of the Weekend:
Reece Wabara (Crewe vs WIGAN)

Share This Post On

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *