League Two Round-Up: Plymouth pull two points clear
27th December 2015

Plymouth have gone two points clear at the top of League Two after a 1-0 win over strugglers Yeovil, after Northampton’s game at York was postponed.

The hosts had a catalogue of chances but were denied by Chris Weale in the Glovers goal, before Ryan Brunt eventually broke the deadlock with a tap-in.

Oxford moved up to second with a comfortable 3-0 win over Exeter at the Kassam Stadium.

John Lundstram put the U’s in the lead with a brilliant finesse finish from distance, before George Baldock’s driven effort and Liam Sercombe, who spent eight years with the Grecians, secured the three points.

11 August 2015 - Capital One Cup - First Round - Brentford v Oxford United - Liam Sercombe of Oxford United - Photo: Marc Atkins / Offside.

Liam Sercombe secured Oxford all three points with a goal against his old club, Exeter

Leyton Orient climbed to ninth in the league with a 3-2 win over Portsmouth in an exciting contest.

Gareth Evans put Pompey in the lead in the opening five minutes with a close-range finish, before Adam Webster was sent off for the visitors, allowing Jay Simpson to equalise from the penalty spot.

The O’s then extended their lead to 3-1 through two Ollie Palmer goals but Mathieu Baudry was shown a red just before the third goal, meaning both sides had to play 40 minutes with 10-men.

Evans then pulled one back for Pompey but Paul Cook’s side, who are three points off third placed Northampton, couldn’t quite snatch a point at the death.

Wycombe moved back into the play-off places with a 2-0 victory at managerless Luton Town.

Garry Thompson rounded goalkeeper Mark Tyler to open the scoring before Paul Hayes’ header just past the hour mark doubled the Chairboys’ lead from Thompson’s cross.

Cambridge easily dispatched of managerless Dagenham & Redbridge 3-0 in London as Robbie Simpson came off the bench to score a brace for the visitors.

The substitute scored with his very first touch from Luke Berry’s cross, before grabbing his second from a free-kick.

Barry Corr’s late effort gave the U’s their fourth win in five league games to move them to within four points of the top-seven.

Crawley won for the sixth time in their last seven home matches with a 2-1 victory over Stevenage.

Gwion Edwards made it 1-0 to the Red Devils with his sixth goal of the season, but Teddy Sheringham’s side equalised with three minutes to go when Michael Tonge converted a penalty.

There was still time for a winner though, as Roarie Deacon was on hand to score a last-minute winner against his old club.

Barnet beat 10-man Newport County 2-0 to extend their unbeaten run to three matches.

05/05/2012 - npower League 2 - Burton Albion vs. Barnet - Barnet manager Martin Allen - Photo: Simon Stacpoole / Offside.

Martin Allen’s Barnet are unbeaten in three games

After the away side had Medy Elito sent off for a foul on Aaron McLean in the penalty area, John Akinde slotted home the spot kick and added a second late on.

Elsewhere, AFC Wimbledon secured a 0-0 draw against fifth-placed Bristol Rovers, despite having their captain Paul Robinson dismissed after just four minutes.

Player of the Week: Garry Thompson (Wycombe)
Team of the Week: Oxford United
Goal of the Week: John Lundstram (OXFORD UNITED vs Exeter)

Share This Post On

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *